Pine Street Presbyterian Church’s organ was designed and installed in 1926 by the Skinner Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts. At the time, Skinner was the premier organ builder in the United States.
The organ served faithfully and virtually unchanged for nearly 40 years. In 1963, the organ was rebuilt and enlarged by the M.P. Möller Company of Hagerstown, Maryland. During this rebuild, the best of the Skinner pipework and virtually all of the chestwork was saved, renewed and reinstalled in what was mostly a new instrument. Of particular importance was the retention of the Solo Organ with its magnificent state trumpet, colorful solo strings and French horn. The principal, mixtures and much of the flue work were new, as were the (sw)ell reeds, which are a wonderful example of the work of Adolph Zajick, Möller’s legendary chief reed voicer.
In the 1980s, the organ was in need of repair. The Möller Company, under the direction of tonal director Daniel Angerstein, was called upon to restore, upgrade and enlarge the organ. During this rebuild, Möller installed the Nave Organ, which speaks from the two grilles surrounding the choir loft window, and the dazzling Trompette-en-Chamade on the west wall of the church.
The 1980s rebuild was carefully guided by Donald L. Clapper, Pine Street’s organist at the time. The cost was underwritten by the Million for Ministry campaign. The new organ was dedicated in 1991.
In 2000, the 32 foot stops, retained from the 1963 rebuild, needed to be replaced. The replacements were made by Walker Technical Company in Zionsville, Pennsylvania. Walker used state-of-the-art digitally sampled voices, which give the needed underpinning to the organ in this large space. This work was made possible by a generous gift from the estate of Albert Herbert.
List of Organ Stops
|16′||Quinataton||8′||English Open Diapason|
|8′||Rohrflute||8′||Unda Maris II|
|8′||Quintaton ((from 16′)||4′||Principal|
|III||Foruniture (1 1/3′)||8′||Clarinet|
|2′||Super Octave||8′||Gamba Celeste|
|IV||Mixture (1 1/3′)||8′||English Horn|
|16′||Double Trumpet||8′||French Horn|
|8′||Cor de Nuit|
|8′||Vox Angelica II|
|16′||Lieblich Gedeckt||3′||Contra Diapason (electronic)|
|16′||Contra Gemshorn||32′||Contra Bourdon (electronic)|
|8′||Viola Celeste||16′||Violon (electronic)|
|8′||Gedeckt (extension of 16′)||16′||Bourdon|
|8′||Voix Celeste II||16′||Quintaton (Gt.)|
|8′||Gemshorn (extension of 16′)||16′||Lieblich Gedeckt (Sw)|
|8′||Stopped Diapason||16′||Contra Gemshorn (Sw)|
|8′||Flauto Dolce Celeste II||10 2/3′||Quint|
|4′||Octave Geigen||10 2/3′||Gemshorn (Sw)|
|2 2/3′||Nazard||8′||Diapason (from 16′)|
|2′||Zauberflote||8′||Bourdon (from 16′)|
|1 1/3′||Tierce||8′||Gedeckt (Sw)|
|V||Plein Jeu (2′)||8′||Gemshorn (Sw)|
|16′||Bassoon||4′||Bourdon ((from 16′)|
|8′||Oboe||IV||Mixture (2 2/3′)|
|8′||Vox Humana||V||Grand Cornet (32′)|
|4′||Clarion||32′||Contre Bombarde (electronic)|
|16′||Double Trumpet (Nave)|
|8′||Bombarde (from 16′)|
|4′||Bombarde Clarion (from 16′)|
|All standard couplers|
|Great and Nave function as a single division although it is possible to separate them and play them against one another.|
|E.M. Skinner, 1926|