Pine Street Presbyterian Church header image

The Organ

 

1920s

The contract for Pine Street Presbyterian Church’s organ was signed in 1924, when design and construction began on the instrument. The Skinner Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts, installed the organ in 1926 as opus 506. At the time, E.M. Skinner was the premier organ builder in the United States.

1954

In 1954, the Æolian-Skinner company, a merger of the pipe organ division of the Æolian Company and the Skinner Organ Company in 1932, completely cleaned and re-leathered the instrument, but did not make any major tonal changes. This process helped ensure the reliable functioning of the organ for many decades.

1963

The organ served faithfully and virtually unchanged from its original construction for 37 years. In 1963, the M.P. Möller Company of Hagerstown, Maryland enlarged the instrument. During this rebuild, the best of the Skinner pipework and virtually all of the chestwork were saved, renewed, and reinstalled. Of particular importance was the retention of the fully enclosed Solo Organ, with its magnificent state trumpet, colorful solo strings, and French horn. Many of the principals, mixtures, and flue work were new, as were the swell reeds, which are a wonderful example of the work of Adolf Zajick, Möller’s legendary chief reed voicer.

1980s

In the 1980s, the organ was in need of repair, restoration, upgrades, and enlargement. Under the direction of tonal director Daniel Angerstein, Möller performed this work. They installed the Nave Organ, which speaks from the two grilles surrounding the choir loft; the dazzling Trompette en Chamade; and updated the console.

Donald L. Clapper, Pine Street’s organist at the time, who served for 43 years, carefully guided this project, helping maintain the continuity of the beauty and character of the original organ with the new additions and advancements in organ technology. The Million for Ministry campaign underwrote the cost. The organ was rededicated in 1991.

2000

In 2000, the 32-foot stops were failing and needed to be replaced. Walker Technical Company of Zionsville, Pennsylvania, made the replacements. Walker used state-of-the-art digitally sampled voices, which give the needed underpinning to the organ in this large space. This work was made possible by a generous gift from the estate of Albert Herbert.

Present

The current organ consists of 4 manuals, 83 ranks, 5,195 pipes.


Organ Specifications

 

GREAT CHOIR (enclosed)
16′ Quintaton 8′ English Open Diapason
8′ Diapason 8′ Stopped Flute
8′ Rohrflöte 8′ Unda Maris II
8′ Quintaton (extension of 16′) 4′ Principal
8′ Erzähler 4′ Nachthorn
4′ Prestant 2′ Fifteenth
4′ Spitzflöte 1 1/3 Larigot
2′ Waldflöte 1′ Blockflöte
II Sesquialtera III-IV Mixture/Cymbal (1′)
III Fourniture (11/3′) 8′ Clarinet
8′ Trompette en Chamade (Solo) Tremulant
Carillon Harp
Zimbelstern (8 notes) Celesta
NAVE SOLO (enclosed, except en Chamade)
8′ Principal 8′ Flauto Mirabilis
4′ Octave 8′ Gamba
2′ Super Octave 8′ Gamba Celeste
IV Mixture (1 1/3′) 8′ English Horn
16′ Double Trumpet 8′ French Horn
8′ Trumpet 8′ State Trumpet
4′ Klarine 8′ Trompette en Chamade
Tremulant
ECHO (enclosed)
8′ Cor de Nuit
8′ Vox Angelica II
8′ Vox Humana
Tremulant
Chimes (25 notes)
Carillon
Harp
SWELL (enclosed) PEDAL
16′ Lieblich Gedeckt 32′ Contra Diapason (electronic)
16′ Contra Gemshorn 32′ Contra Bourdon (electronic)
8′ Viola Pomposa 16′ Diapason
8′ Viola Celeste 16′ Violon (electronic)
8′ Gedeckt (extension of 16′) 16′ Bourdon
8′ Voix Celeste II 16′ Quintaton (Gt)
8′ Gemshorn (extension of 16′) 16′ Lieblich Gedeckt (Sw)
8′ Stopped Diapason 16′ Contra Gemshorn (Sw)
8′ Flauto Dolce Celeste II 10 2/3 Quint
4′ Octave Geigen 10 2/3 Gemshorn (Sw)
4′ Koppelflöte 8′ Principal
2 2/3 Nazard 8′ Diapason (extension of 16′)
2′ Zauberflöte 8′ Bourdon (extension of 16′)
1 1/3 Tierce 8′ Quintaton (Gt)
V Plein Jeu (2′) 8′ Gedeckt (Sw)
IV Scharf 8′ Gemshorn (Sw)
16′ Basson 4′ Principal (extension of 16′)
8′ Trompette 4′ Bourdon (extension of 16′)
8′ Oboe 4′ Quintaton (Gt)
8′ Vox Humana IV Mixture (2 2/3′)
4′ Clarion V Grand Cornet (32′)
Tremulant 32′ Contre Bombarde (electronic)
16′ Bombarde
16′ Double Trumpet (Nave)
8′ Bombarde (extension of 16′)
8′ Trumpet (Nave)
4′ Bombarde Clarion (extension of 16′)
All standard couplers, general/divisional/reversible pistons, and toe studs. 32 levels of memory, each containing 12 general pistons and 8 divisional pistons each for Gt & Nave, Swell, Choir, Solo-Echo, and Pedal. 4 programmable crescendo settings. 3 balanced expression shoes: choir; swell; solo/echo; and balanced crescendo pedal. All swells to swell. Pedal to Solo. Ped/division combinations on/off for each manual. Reversible studs for each 32′ stop.Sub/Super/Unison Off: Great, Swell, Choir. Sub/Super only: Solo-Echo. Unison Off only: Pedal. Reverse Man. I/Man. II (‘French Great’). Great & Nave can be played as a single division, or separately.
E.M. Skinner/M.P. Möller  |  IV/83/5,195  |  1926



Summary

Division Ranks Pipes
Great 12 744
Nave 10 610
Echo 4 244
Swell 28 1,888
Choir 14 894
Solo 7 487
Pedal 8 328
Total 83 5,195

The Opus Numbers

Opus 506 | E.M. Skinner | Original Organ Built | 1926
Opus 506-A | Æolian-Skinner | Releathered and Cleaned | 1954
Opus R-706 | M.P. Möller| Rebuild & Enlargement | 1963
Opus R-1212 | M.P. Möller| Rebuild & Enlargement | 1991


close window

Service Times & Directions

Word and Sacrament

10:00 a.m.

Church School - All Ages

8:45 a.m.

View Larger Map

Pine Street Church

310 North Third Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
(717) 238-9304 (717) 232-9341 fax