The Chancel window, presented by Miss Anne C. McCormick in memory of Annie Criswell McCormick (Mrs. Henry B. McCormick), her mother, was designed by Harry Wright Goodhue and installed in 1926. In the center lancet, Christ is depicted in glory surrounded by seven doves symbolic of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and Fear of the Lord. He is flanked by angels of praise, the one to the left plaing a trumpet, the one to the right playing a harp. Below, extending across the three lancets of the window are eleven apostles, each holding his symbol. Paul, the right figure in the left lancet, takes the place of the traitor Judas.
Much white glass has been used as the only solution for an artificially lighted window. An interesting phenomenon occurred when, in the last renovation, the incandescent bulbs lighting the window were replaced with fluorescent tubes. With the installation of the “daylight” tubes, the window, in which reds and ambers had been prominent, began to radiate with beautiful hues of blue, green, and deep red.
Click on any of the stained glass images within the graphic to your left.